Florida Fertilizer Tips
To prevent fertilizer from washing into water bodies in Punta Gorda, Florida, it’s important to know the right time to fertilize. Follow these tips before fertilizing:
Five Tips on Fertilizing
1. Consider the time of year, climate, soil type and, most important, type of grass and health or condition of the lawn before applying fertilizer.
2. Fertilize only when the grass is actively growing. For instance, during the winter, grass is dormant in many areas of Florida; therefore, fertilizer is not necessary. Fertilizer applied when grass is not growing wastes your money and time, since it will not be beneficially used by the grass. Instead, it will leach through the soil or run off and pollute nearby water bodies.
3. If your lawn has problem areas, find out if this is related to a pest, soil or environmental problem such as excess shade or the uneven distribution of irrigation water. These problems should be corrected and not just masked by fertilization.
4. If your household uses reclaimed water, check with your utility to determine if your reclaimed water has nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus, which are also in fertilizer. If so, you may not need to fertilize as much.
5. Do not fertilize if rain is predicted in the next 24–36 hours or when a heavy rain, tropical storm, hurricane or flood is predicted.
Check out our other post on how to correctly prune your hedges or our vacant lot brazilian pepper tree removal services in Punta Gorda, Florida.
Free Lawn Care & Landscaping Consultation
We are proud to offer all new clients considering our services a free consultation. At Beautiful Boundaries Lawn Care Our Reputation is Growing!